Progress

from the collection, “Leap”

She misses perfumed postcards,
snail mail letters;
conversations in cafés
without the words,
“hang on, I have to get this call.”

She misses eye contact:

where stars and
fireflies decorate the
infinite darkness.

"Poet's Notebook" copyright 2010 HGS

11 comments

1. Steve Isaak says:

Good flow, images, work – effective stuff, with an effective-shift finish.

2. signed .............bkm says:

wonderful thoughtful piece on today’s communication…thank goodness for night and fireflies…bkm

3. Shashi says:

Dear Heather

The pitfalls of technology … I miss handwritten letters too..

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Om Namah Shivaya
    Twitter: @VerseEveryDay
    Blog: http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com

4. A.B. Thomas says:

A perfect read – the images, the sadnees of the advance, fantastic, or should I say Tres bon! I have to say it was also a pleasure to see another Canadian – in my blog travels it would seem the nation is a wee bit on the quiet front..

5. tolbert says:

I love the picture drawn within the ending of ‘Progress’…so simple and yet so grand in its horizons! Beautifully done.

then sleeps outside
    where stars and
    fireflies decorate the
    infinite darkness.

6. Eric says:

I like the duality of this piece, Heather. I try to find balance between real life and all the distractions that take me away from it (sometimes too much), so I can relate to this. Nice One Shot!

P.S. – My sister is named Heather too!

7. gospelwriter says:

I miss those things too, wish technology weren’t quite so intrusive… one has to get away from it or go mad. Lovely poem.

8. I’ve posted this to be part of the One Shot Wednesday poetry round up at the excellent site http://oneshotpoetry.blogspot.com

9. Tony L-J says:

Well H u know I like this one, and such a great photo -I have a tanka from a couple of years just like the subject of this photo – as u say, art inspires art, does it not 😉 It’s a good poem too – I particularly like the last stanza, very evocative, and really brings home the sense of being in a big country.

What did you think? I'd love to hear from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s